Thursday, April 16, 2015

First Impression: L'Oreal True Match Lumi

  ​I started wearing make-up when I was in the 8th grade, my mom bought me a bottle of liquid foundation from the drugstore. I believe it was L’Oreal or possibly even Cover Girl. For most of us, that is our introduction to make-up, the drugstore aisles. When left to my own 14 year old devices, I’m sure I picked colors that were A) entirely way too dark for my skin B) wrong type of coverage/consistency. Drugstore make-up has by far surpassed my 14 year old expectations, as well as my 30 year old ones.  When I turned 18, and could “control” my own money (that’s obviously putting it loosely since, hello I was 18 and lived at home) I purchased my first foundation from a counter--it was Clinique. Still as naïve as ever, but it introduced me to the world of higher end make-up. I would say my “make-up travels” have come full circle because I’m once again cruising the drugstore make-up aisles, however older and wiser, knowing what I’m in search of. Dupes for those borderline ungodly priced department store make-up.







My first real foray back into the drugstore world was with L’Oreal True Match Lumi foundation. Typically I’m drawn to a more full coverage foundation, but as I’ve worked on my skin concerns I found less of a need for full coverage. I was searching for something I could wear every day and more importantly would still look like my skin, only better. Which is exactly how I felt with True Match Lumi. It ended up with a more medium coverage (heavy handed) that was more of a satin finish. I wouldn’t say that it was overtly dewy, which is what I was expecting. For years I stuck with matte foundations to combat again my oily skin, I can create my own dew, thank you very much. I was fully expecting with the name Lumi, I would eventually look like a disco ball. It held up beautifully throughout the day, I didn’t have any issues with it breaking apart (which is a problem I’ve faced even with high end foundations). I did have to touch up around my nose, however that isn’t uncommon, drugstore or high end foundation I still have to touch up every once in a while. I went with a N1-N2 bottle, opting for a more neutral shade. However they offer cool and warm tones. I purchased my bottle at my local Wal-Greens, however I’ve seen them at Target, and UltaI picked a bottle that the color was closest to something I already had. Please, please, don’t ever try to match foundation to the back of your hand. Your hand and face are typically not the same color. OK, I’ll step off my soap box now. I found that my local drugstore did have a return policy if the color didn’t suit me, which I’m finding is becoming a more common occurrence. Both Target and Ulta will take back gently used make-up if it doesn’t suit your needs. Sometimes the lighting is tricky, I know I don’t want to get stuck with a foundation I’ll never use again. 
Has this replaced my NARS All Day Luminousfoundation? Girl, get real. But I will find myself reaching for this bottle more often, especially for everyday use. Here’s a photo just after I applied my make-up (set with light powder in natural lighting):




Have you tried this foundation? Is there a drugstore brand I should try next? Maybe stay away from? Let me know in the common section below.

XOXO,
Jessica Lynn 

No comments:

Post a Comment